The United States witnesses countless deaths each year, with heart disease being the leading cause. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid courses are key lifesaving skills that effectively address these emergencies. These preserve the lives of others while allowing them to receive immediate medical aid. By helping prepare emergency responders, the courses enable individuals to deal with any circumstance in their daily lives. These are easy-to-learn courses available online, offline, or through blended learning. In this blog, let us explore more about CPR and first aid certifications and assess how long does CPR certification last.
What is the importance of first-aid training?
Accidents can happen at any time, which is why it is crucial to think quickly and stay calm. This is an invaluable skill taught in a first-aid course. From learning new medical skills to saving lives, the course is an invaluable asset. Here are reasons why first aid training is crucial:
- It helps save lives: Emergencies are uncertain and can strike at any hour. Being able to take swift action can be the differentiating factor between life and death. This is why it is essential to learn first aid, as it will not only teach you to remain calm but also help save lives. Whether someone has had an accident or is choking, first aid training will help you provide prompt medical care.
- Prevents further injury: First aid is beneficial in treating several injuries and illnesses. These range from minor injuries to serious medical concerns. Providing care early on controls the situation and prevents the condition from worsening.
- Helps reduce recovery time: It is crucial to administer first aid effectively to minimize pain. First aid training teaches you the basic skills required to address a wound or an injury. As a first aider, you will be better equipped to address any injury and provide comfort. Sometimes you might just need to offer comfort to a victim until paramedics arrive.
- Be aware of potential hazards: First aid knowledge helps prevent personal injuries by being aware of potential risks. As a trained individual, you will be able to recognize a dangerous situation that could lead to injury. The ability to spot signs makes you aware and prevents injuries or accidents.
Why is CPR training essential?
CPR regulates oxygenated blood in the brain and other crucial organs until it restores the heart rhythm. This is one of the core reasons why it is crucial to invest your time in learning CPR. Others involve the following:
- Saves countless lives: Prompt CPR is a lifesaver and can significantly improve the victim’s chance of survival. Moreover, it also helps save individuals from drowning.
- Prevents brain death: Brain death occurs four to six minutes after the heart stops beating. CPR is a lifesaver and keeps the blood flowing to the brain and other vital organs. This prevents brain death and gives a better chance of recovery.
- Reduces recovery time: CPR, when administered within the first few minutes of cardiac arrest, doubles the chance of survival. This reduces the recovery time and ensures that the victim will make it to the hospital on time.
CPR training is also beneficial during choking and for treating other respiratory problems.
How long are CPR and first aid certifications good for?
On completion of either of the two certification courses, you will receive a certification card valid for the next two years. You will need to renew it once every two years to keep practicing. If you fail to renew it, you will need to retake the course from scratch.
What is the purpose of CPR and first aid certifications?
CPR and first aid certifications are legal documents that qualify the holder to administer CPR and first aid procedures, respectively. The credential enables individuals to provide help during emergencies. The trained individuals know the right administration methods and offer efficient treatment.
Why do you need to renew the certifications?
CPR and first aid are fields that witness constant change. The new norms come into play after careful research in the area. Timely renewal ensures that you are on par with the changing norms and are observing the best practices compliant with the industry. Moreover, these certifications are crucial employment requirements. An outdated certification card holds no worth and is equivalent to not having one.
Thus, you have received the answer to the question, how long does CPR certification last? It lasts for two years, after which it needs a renewal. Emergency hours can be stressful. By undertaking CPR and first aid training, you will be able to make a difference in someone’s life. The procedures can help reduce stress and take control of the situation. Whether you encounter a traumatic event or a minor accident, the certifications prepare you to be ready in case of emergencies.