Humanities and the Social Sciences are not last resort field choices for students. Courses offered under the department of humanities and social sciences at colleges can shape students to think critically, communicate well and can contribute towards shaping the country. To fully understand the scope of what this field holds, one needs to first understand the range of degrees available.
Some of the best private universities in Bhopal, Mansarovar Global University (MGU), has a range of degrees in its humanities department. Students are spoilt for choice of specialisations, jobs and higher education after graduation. Let us explore some of the degrees that are available to a class 12th Arts student.
Types of Humanities and Social Sciences Courses
The best part about humanities and social sciences courses is that students who opt for them can start working or are eligible to work after short-term programs. Colleges and universities across India have on offer full-time degrees from undergraduate to doctorate levels. Here Also read about how to teach math online. Shorter courses like certifications and diplomas are usually opted for on the side as extra qualifications. The types of courses available in India are as follows.
- Certifications courses: Certificate courses usually last from a few weeks to a couple of months.
- Diploma courses: These are completed within a couple of years.
- Undergraduate degrees: The popular Arts and Social Science UG degree is the BA which lasts three years.
- Postgraduate degrees: After the BA degree, there is the MA degree in different concentration choices. Like most PG degrees, this also lasts two years.
- Doctorate degrees:Arts and Social Science doctorate degrees offered in India are PhD and M.Phil. The duration for doctorate degrees is more flexible and lasts around three to five years.
Top Five Courses in Humanities and Social Sciences
There are many options for Humanities and Social Sciences. Here, we are considering the specialisations and not the degree. Depending on the college, the range of disciplines will also change. Some of the most popular disciplines are as below.
1) Mass Communications: In a world where there are media everywhere, there is a need for trained people who can communicate or word what a company wants to say in the right way. This is where the communications degree comes in.
Communications degrees are designed to teach students what the different forms of media are and how to use each of them effectively to get a message across. The form and content of communication will depend on lot of the medium used like radio, television, or the internet, and the subject matter like politics, entertainment, breaking news etc.
Most colleges that offer communications degrees have merit-based admissions for their courses. Some others could also have a university-level written test before granting admission for candidates who have more than 50% aggregate score.
2) Law: Law degrees are one field of Humanities that students from other fields like Science and Commerce can also apply to. The BA LLB is also offered by many BA honours colleges in Bhopal such as MGU. It is a basic law course at the undergraduate level. It is a five-year-long deep dive into the basics of Indian law.
All aspects of law, civil, criminal and more are covered in detail while also teaching students the required soft skills to work as a lawyer. More specialized studies are covered at the postgraduate level degree studies.
After completing the degree, most graduates intern under an established and experienced lawyer before they gain the confidence to handle cases on their own. Law colleges typically accept the CLAT score for admission or conduct their own written tests.
3) Hospitality and Tourism Management: As the world slowly opens up and more countries open up their borders, tourism will pick up its pace. The hospitality and tourism industry is a multimillion-dollar one that has a lot of workers in the background. BA colleges in Bhopal and India offer hospitality and tourism management under their management departments.
Depending on the sub-discipline, students are trained to work in restaurants, housekeeping, baking, event management, front office management etc. This is one specialisation that has immense scope, nationally and internationally. Most students in this field either opt for a dedicated bachelors or a short-term diploma degree.
4) Economics: After common disciplines like English and Psychology, Economics comes close by. This degree is about numbers and how to analyse them to find patterns and make decisions. MA colleges in Bhopal and India generally offer economics degrees with their BA and MA degrees.
Economists are the biggest contributors towards getting an understanding of what and how our economy is doing. Their research and development work also aids towards shaping the national budget.
The scope of work for Economists is generally in Government departments. Admissions to the Economics degree are for Arts, Science and also Commerce students who have at least a 50% aggregate score. Qualifying students take merit-based or university-level written tests for admission.
5) Social Work and Communication Service: In a country where the majority of the population lives below the poverty line, Social Work and Community Service workers become important.
Students in these courses learn how to communicate and work to uplift the lives of needy people and the community as a whole. Most workers in this field hold short-term degrees like a diploma in community service or a diploma in social work.
Although, there are full-time degree forms of these courses also available. This is a demanding field where jobs are available in the central or state Government and also in the private sector.
Humanities and Social Sciences Course Jobs and Salary
Humanities and Social Science course students are eligible for jobs in both the private and public sectors. Besides the above-stated degrees, one can even attempt competitive examinations like SSC CGL and NDA. The range of jobs and salary scale for students in Humanities and Social Sciences depends on the degree chosen. For instance, an Economics graduate would work as an entry-level Economist while a Communications degree would be eligible to work as a Tourism Executive. Salaries will increase with more experience and as the individual earns higher degrees.
Undoubtedly, humanities & social science courses have vibrant career opportunities to offer. In order to get a degree in such courses, you need to enroll at Mansarovar Global University. MGU is known as the best private university in Bhopal due to its wide range of courses. As evident, the Humanities and Social Sciences are a wide field. The limit to what one can possibly choose for their degree is dependent on their passions. Unlike other courses, Arts based courses are far more flexible with more options for higher education and jobs. Choosing the right course should be an easy job based on our write-up above. Carving out the career of dreams is now the individual’s responsibility.