Have you ever tried a new brand or flavour of vape juice and wished that you could dilute it just a little? Maybe the e-liquid wasn’t quite to your liking or didn’t provide great performance with your equipment, or maybe you thought that you’d enjoy the flavour a little more if the e-liquid was just a touch thinner. Is it possible to dilute your vape juice?
As a matter of fact, you can dilute your e-liquid. There are several reasons why you might want to do so, and people actually dilute their vape juice more often than you might think. In this article, we’ll explain exactly what you need to do – but first, we’ll explain why you might want to do it.
Why Do People Dilute Their Vape Juice?
Let’s start by explaining why you might want to go through these steps in the first place. Why do people dilute their vape juice? Here are the four most common reasons.
- The e-liquid that you’re using has a very high percentage of vegetable glycerine (VG), but you’re using a small vaping device. Your vape juice is too thick for your equipment, and you’re either getting dry hits or are waiting a long time for your device’s coil to refresh itself between puffs.
- You’re not happy with the e-liquid’s flavour, either because the flavour itself is a bit too strong or because the e-liquid has too much added sweetener.
- You want to reduce the e-liquid’s nicotine strength without altering its flavour.
- You find that vaping leaves your mouth feeling dry and would like to add a little water to reduce the dehydrating
Now that you understand why you might want to dilute your vape juice, let’s discuss the specific steps involved.
How to Dilute Vape Juice to Make It Thinner
What You Need:Pharmaceutical-grade propylene glycol (PG) or unflavoured e-liquid base with the same nicotine strength as – and a higher percentage of PG than – the e-liquid you’re diluting.
Things to Know:
- If you’re using pure PG, you’ll only need to use a small amount to thin your e-liquid, but it will reduce the e-liquid’s nicotine strength.
- If you use an unflavoured e-liquid base, the nicotine strength will stay the same. You’ll have to use more of the base to thin your e-liquid, though, unless the base contains only PG and no VG. The more unflavoured base you add to your e-liquid, the more it will dilute the e-liquid’s flavour.
To dilute your e-liquid with the goal of thinning it, you probably won’t need a separate bottle because you should be able to achieve the desired thinness without adding a lot of additional liquid. Simply open your e-liquid bottle and remove the nozzle from the top. You may find it helpful to insert a butterknife into the seam and pry the nozzle away from the bottle gently. Add a few millilitres of the diluting agent to the e-liquid bottle and replace the nozzle. Close the bottle and shake it well. Test the e-liquid to see if it has the desired thinness. If it doesn’t, you may need to dilute it further.
How to Dilute Vape Juice to Reduce the Flavour or Sweetener
What You Need: Unflavoured e-liquid base with the same nicotine strength as the e-liquid you’re using.
Things to Know:
- Reducing the amount of sucralose in your e-liquid may help your coils or pods last longer because sucralose causes the formation of residue on a vape coil. The residue tastes burnt and shortens the coil’s life.
This is another case where you will probably be able to achieve your desired level of dilution without adding a lot of extra liquid and therefore probably won’t need a separate bottle for mixing. Follow the same instructions as above, adding a few millilitres of the diluting agent at a time until you achieve the desired flavour strength.
How to Dilute Vape Juice to Reduce the Nicotine Strength
What You Need:A bottle of e-liquid in the same flavour as the one you’re using but with no nicotine. You will also need a separate bottle for mixing.
Things to Know:
- If you reduce the nicotine strength of your e-liquid slowly, you may find that diluting your e-liquid can eventually help you switch to nicotine-free vaping or stop vaping entirely.
It’s rare for major e-liquid makers to offer products with nicotine strengths lower than 3 mg/ml. Today’s vaping devices have such high performance, though, that many people could use strengths lower than that and barely notice the difference. The easiest way to dilute your e-liquid for reducing the nicotine strength is by buying a separate mixing bottle that’s large enough to hold the full contents of two e-liquid bottles. Add one bottle of 3 mg/ml e-liquid and one bottle of nicotine-free e-liquid to the mixing bottle, and you’ll end up with a strength of 1.5 mg/ml. Close the mixing bottle tightly and shake it well before using it.
How to Dilute Vape Juice to Relieve Dry Mouth
What You Need: Distilled water.
Things to Know:
- Diluting vape juice with water will reduce both the nicotine strength and the flavour.
- You should never add regular tap water to vape juice.
One of the properties of both VG and PG is that both are potent absorbers of water – and when you exhale the vapour, you’re actually removing water from your body. As a result, some people find that vaping makes them feel thirsty or makes their mouths feel dry. If that’s the case for you, you may find it helpful to add a bit of water to your vape juice. The key thing to remember here is that water is significantly thinner than both VG and PG, and vape tanks aren’t designed to work with extremely thin liquids. To help prevent leaking, distilled water should comprise no more than about 5-10 percent of the final mix. Add the desired amount of water to the e-liquid bottle and shake it well before using it.