Parental involvement is a powerful and best predictor of student achievement in high schools. Students can get more academic success when parents and schools work together to educate, socialize or motivate students. The parent that is showing high involvement in their children’s education can get high test scores and grades, complete their homework at the proper time, have the best attendance, or have positive behavior or attitude.
The families that are involved in their children’s education can understand in a better way what their children are taught in their schools. Parents can get more information about the abilities and knowledge of their children as well as those services and programs that their children get through schools. Some research by law essay writing service uk showed that the parents with better involvement have greater confidence to help their children with their homework or assignment work.
Teachers also can get more benefits with parental involvement, like they can understand the lives of students. They also can learn from students outside the classroom in meaningful and real ways. Although parental involvement provides many benefits, there are present several barriers that do not allow full parental involvement in their child’s education. However, this article will discuss some of these barriers that do not allow proper parental involvement.
These barriers are:
- Shortage of teacher’s time
- Lack of understanding of communication styles of parents
- Teachers having misperceptions about the abilities of parents
- Limited resources of families
- Lack of comfort of parents
- The tension between teachers and parents relationship
- Parents are feeling teachers do not inform them on time about any news related to their children
Shortage of teacher’s time
Teachers have a lot of responsibilities that they require to do. They don’t have enough time to interact with the parents of their students. Teachers want to interact with parents, but they don’t find enough time. In this way, parents don’t involve in the study of their children.
Lack of understanding of communication styles of parents
Another barrier that makes parental involvement fail is the mismatch of communication among teachers and parents. The issues are created due to language and cultural differences. The teachers or parents sometimes don’t understand the language they are speaking, so it becomes difficult for them to interact properly.
Teachers have misperceptions about the abilities of parents
Some teachers think that parents cant support their children in their education because they also do not have a strong educational background. But many poorly educated parents help their children by talking about school, helping with their homework, or believing that education is more important for their child’s lives. So they want their children to get higher education as they can get at their time.
Limited resources of families
When asked to parent why they do not show involvement in their child’s education, the biggest reason they tell is a shortage of time. The parents that do not have enough resources like transportation don’t participate in the involvement.
Lack of comfort of parents
Some parents are not involved in their children’s education because they are unwelcome to go to school. Most parents do not have a good school experience, so they don’t make sure their contributions are meaningful. Parents also create barriers for themselves that feel they are suspicious at the school. When parents do not have a comfort zone at schools, they don’t prefer to go.
The tension between teachers and parents relationship
Teachers play an important role in the achievement of students. Similarly, parents are also important for better students’ performance. Teachers and parents should need to join or work together for their children. But due to some reason, the relationship between teachers and parents is not good, which is the big barrier to parental involvement.
Parents are feeling teachers do not inform them on time about any news related to their children.
Parens feel that teachers are taking time to inform about the issues that their children are having with their studies. They said the news that teachers are giving to them is only bad. Some teachers said that they don’t have proper access to teachers of their children. Or when children have had some problem, then teachers blame their parents. Parents think that the schools that do not welcome them don’t want them to interfere in children’s education. Communication is the only way to inform parents about information in these schools. But not all parents have better communication opportunities. So most parents, just because of these reasons, do take participate in the education.
What are the important aspects of parental involvement?
- Some teachers believed that not all parents giving respect to the, they challenged the authority, or as questions to teachers about their decisions. They think parents also encourage their children to disrespect teachers when they don’t respect them. they included some parents not sending their children for learning
- Most families are living on rent. So their home positions change more. In this way, it is not easy to develop a relationship among school staff and families. It is also an important aspect that leads to failing parental involvement.
- Most families don’t know the exact value that they have to participate in the involvement. They don’t even think that their involvement can change their children’s lives. They don’t believe that any meaningful change will come with their participation.
- The parental involvement is lower at higher or middle school levels. Some parents are working parents. They already have a very busy life; it is not easy for them to participate in their children’s school education.
Although parental involvement provides numerous benefits, some reasons schools have not implemented parental involvement.
These reasons are:
- The school staff or teachers are not trained to interact and work with parents. So they don’t know how they can work with them properly.
- Teachers or school administrators think that parental involvement is an extra responsibility in their busy schedules.
- Teachers think that giving parents involvement or with closer relationship means giving decision-making power to parents.
- Parents do not know that how they can ask questions to teachers. Or the worrying thing is that parents thought their children would get punished for their actions.
However, these are important barriers that most educational institutions are facing for parental involvement. If these barriers are trying to control, students will get the higher achievement because they need their teacher’s attention for better performance and their parents to support them