Our smartphones have become indispensable parts of our daily lives, but if you’re carrying yours around with you wherever you go, it might not be as safe as you think it is. If you’re worried about your phone getting lost or damaged, here are the things that you should consider protecting it with, and the ones that you probably shouldn’t bother with at all!
Screen protectors are a partial solution
A screen protector is a thin film that you can apply to your phone’s screen. They’re designed to protect your screen from scratches and other damage. But they don’t do anything to protect your phone from drops or other impact damage. So if you drop your phone, a screen protector isn’t going to help.
How to choose the Best Screen Protectors
When you first get a new phone, the screen is usually one of the first things you protect. A phone screen protector can help safeguard your investment and keep your phone looking new.
Here are a few things to consider when selecting a screen protector for your smartphone.
- Does the screen protector offer good clarity? If it isn’t crystal clear, it may reduce your experience while using your device.
- How easy is it to apply? Most screens come with an application kit that includes wet wipes and dust-free cloths in order to prep the device before applying the film.
If there are no installation instructions or included tools, you may need additional tools like tweezers or water sprayers in order to successfully apply the film.
Why you should buy a case
A case can protect your phone from drops, scratches, and everyday wear and tear. But not all cases are created equal. Some cases are better at protecting your phone than others. And some cases can actually do more harm than good.
For example, a phone without a case is more likely to break if it falls out of someone’s pocket onto the pavement. But what about when you’re in the water? In addition to using a waterproof bag or skin on top of your device, there are many water-resistant cases that you can buy for smartphones.
Buying New? Get a Hard Back Case
A hard back case is the best way to protect your new investment. It will safeguard against scratches, dings, and drops. Even if you are careful with your phone, accidents happen. A hard back case will give you peace of mind knowing your phone is well-protected.
Skip the extended warranty
Most people don’t need an extended warranty for their smartphones. Here’s why:
- Smartphones are designed to last longer than ever before. The average lifespan of a smartphone is now around two-and-a-half years.
- You’re likely already covered by your credit card. If you have a major credit card, you probably have some form of extended warranty coverage.
- You might be able to get a replacement phone from your carrier. If your phone is lost, stolen, or damaged, most carriers will give you a discounted replacement phone.
- Manufacturers’ warranties usually cover defects. If something goes wrong with your phone within the first year, you’re likely covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
10 Tips for Getting Through the Day Without Cracking Your Phone
- Keep your phone in a case. This will help protect it from bumps and drops.
- Be careful when using your phone in public places. It’s easy to drop your phone when you’re distracted.
- Don’t leave your phone in hot or cold cars. Extreme temperatures can damage your phone.
- Avoid getting your phone wet. Water can ruin your phone’s circuitry.
- Don’t put your phone in your back pocket. This increases the chances of dropping it or sitting on it and cracking the screen.
- Be cautious when downloading apps. Some apps can contain malware that can damage your phone or steal personal information. 7. Never use your phone while walking on an escalator.
- Turn off features like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, NFC, and mobile data when not in use to save battery life. 9. Avoid charging your phone overnight or while you sleep because this can cause overheating which may shorten its lifespan.
- Consider disabling push notifications to reduce distractions so you don’t mindlessly check your phone every few minutes without realizing it!