Chaufa rice is a delicious and unique Peruvian dish with Chinese influences. It is a fried rice dish that is often served with a variety of proteins, vegetables, and spices. It is a popular dish in Peru, often served at family meals or celebrations.
Back to the recipe we present here for you today, let’s say that preparing chaufa rice is relatively easy and can be a great way to try a unique and delicious dish. In this article, you will find step by step instructions on how to prepare chaufa rice.
A little bit of history
This dish is one of the many that form part of the so-called chifa cuisine, a Chinese legacy to the Peruvian people that immigrants of that Asian country brought to South America during the second half of the 19th Century. Over the decades, that Chinese tradition blended perfectly with Peruvian gastronomy and created numerous meals across the whole country.
If you want to know more about this typical Peruvian dish, you may visit carolinarice.com/recipes/arroz-chaufa/ to find out some extra information.
Chaufa rice requires a few basic ingredients, but the exact ingredients may vary depending on the recipe. Generally, it requires the following:
- 2 cups of long grain white rice.
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil.
- ¼ cup of soy sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger.
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- ½ cup of diced onion.
- 1 cup of diced carrots.
- 1 cup of diced bell peppers.
- 1 cup of diced celery.
- 1 cup of peas.
- ½ cup of diced pineapple.
- ½ cup of diced mango
- ½ cup of diced papaya
- ½ cup of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup of diced green onions
- 1 cup of cooked proteins such as chicken, sausage, fish, or seafood
Step by step instructions
This rice-based meal is a relatively easy dish to prepare. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients
Gather the ingredients listed above and have them ready to go. It is important to have all of the ingredients prepped and ready to go before beginning the cooking process.
Step 2: Cook the Rice
In a large pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the 2 cups of long grain white rice. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
Once cooked, set aside and allow to cool.
Step 3: Stir Fry the Vegetables
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, bell peppers, celery, peas, pineapple, mango, papaya, tomatoes, and green onions. Stir fry the vegetables for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
Step 4: Add the proteins
Once the vegetables have cooked, add the cooked proteins such as chicken, sausage, fish, or seafood. Stir-fry the proteins for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Step 5: Mix Everything Together
Once the proteins have cooked, add the cooked rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, garlic powder, black pepper, and sugar. Stir everything together and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Step 6: Serve and Enjoy!
Chaufa rice is now ready to be served. Serve it in individual bowls and enjoy!
Some typical beverages from Peru to accompany this dish
Having prepared a traditional Peruvian meal, you may want to know what Peruvian people use to drink with it. The first three in the following list are homemade with typical ingredients, the other two are soft drinks sold in shops.
- Chicha Morada: a sweet and tart purple corn-based beverage which is boiled with pineapple, apples, and spices.
- Maracuyá Sour: a sweet and sour blend of passion fruit juice and lime juice.
- Chicha de Jora: a fermented beverage made from jora corn, which is a type of maize grown in the Andean highlands. It has a low alcohol level, about 3%.
- Inca Kola: a sweet, bubblegum-flavoured, yellowish-green soft drink which is highly popular in Peru.
buy wellbutrin online buy wellbutrin generic
- Inka Cola Sour: a sparkling and slightly sour version of the traditional Inca Kola.
Peruvian cuisine is considered one of the most exquisite ones in the world thanks to its combination of flavors and textures.
Try this recipe out and fall in love with this gastronomy right away!