8 stages of product packaging design development
All stages of packaging creation are thought out to the smallest detail, so it is so important to keep their sequence. Otherwise, there is a possibility of getting a low quality result, due to which the sales of the product will drop. No stage can be missed, even if it seems insignificant.
In short, the food packaging design process looks like this:
At this stage, the research of the product itself takes place. It is worth noting that half of the further success depends on this step. An interview with the head of the company is required to ensure a clear understanding of the task.
The purpose of this work is to identify the needs of the market. Also, options for the design of similar goods from other manufacturers are considered, the effectiveness of the selected approaches is assessed.
3. Information processing.
Analysis of the information obtained is necessary in order to achieve the most optimal solution in the design of the product packaging. At the same time, it is imperative to take into account the price segment, features of product positioning, the company’s offer itself and a number of other nuances.
4. Formation of the concept.
Based on research, several concepts are created, taking into account all the pros and cons of competitors’ products. As a result, it is possible to make the product stand out as much as possible among other products in a particular segment.
We are talking about creating a composition based on graphic, informational and photographic content provided to the designer by the customer company.
6. Presentation of layouts.
Ready-made concepts are presented to the client so that he can choose a product packaging design that meets all his wishes. Further, the project is adjusted to achieve the ideal.
At this stage, amendments are made: the color scheme, details can change. Then the files are prepared for transfer to the customer.
The client receives a layout for printing. He also has the opportunity to exercise the right of author’s supervision when using the design on a number of media.
Due to the sequential implementation of the listed steps, it is possible to create a unique and effective product packaging design that will help increase the identification of the product and the company, attract a new audience, which will have a beneficial effect on the level of sales. As a result, all these components will allow the business to develop further.
3 questions before creating a packaging design
Answer the following questions if you want a boxes packaging design that can boost sales:
- For which product is the design created? In the process of such work, it is important to remember the key features of the product. Let’s say that the sale of fragile items is impossible without tight packaging that preserves their characteristics.
- Who is the target audience? The product can be designed for men, women, or suitable for all. Another important feature to keep in mind when creating a design is the price segment to which your offer belongs. So, a luxury item should speak of luxury with all its appearance, therefore, only restrained colors, decorative elements in the form of embossing, etc., can be used in its design. Today, products designed for consumers who are worried about the environment are relevant. They are trying to use environmentally friendly materials for packaging such products.
- How do people buy this product? That is, it is important for you to imagine the place of purchase: it can be a supermarket, boutique, small or large retail. The perception of packaging design largely depends on the place in which the end consumer encounters it. His reaction to one box on the Internet and in the store may differ.
3 rules for developing packaging design
It is in appearance that a potential customer makes the first impression of a product and makes a purchase decision. Competently designed product packaging design reflects its essence, demonstrates the main qualities. Therefore, in the process of creating a design, it is important to remember a number of rules:
- Harmonious composition combined with a large amount of information on the label, namely:
- mandatory information, that is, expiration dates, barcode, address and other data of the manufacturer;
- additional information about the company.
- It is important that the listed ingredients combine well on the label.
- Free space. Modern designers abandon the principle of packaging design, in which every free millimeter is used. Today, the feeling of freedom and airiness in design is more relevant, so it is important to find a balance between filled and empty areas. Too much information runs the risk of irritating the consumer.
- Hierarchy of information. A person always perceives data in a certain order – the same rule applies to the principle of choosing goods. In addition, it is important for a modern client to get all the necessary information as soon as possible. This means that you need to place information on the packaging in such a way that it takes no more than a few seconds to read it. The most rational arrangement looks like this:
- element to attract attention;
- brand designation;
- the product’s name;
- information about the product.
Tips for a memorable dairy packaging design
Product packaging is the main way of communication between the manufacturer and the consumer. Therefore, during design development, it is necessary to work with a coherent idea, and not just try to create an attractive picture. When designing packaging, it is important to start by choosing a market positioning policy. For a new brand, a concept is created from scratch, and for an already known brand, it is important to adhere to existing principles.
- Make the most of your packaging space. For example, in the case of a cardboard box, the information is placed on four sides, at the bottom and at the top. If we are talking about glass containers, then the label and counter-label act as communication panels. But even here it is not necessary to be limited by the existing rules, be creative.
- White is used as the main color for the design of milk packaging. After all, it evokes associations with the product itself, its purity, natural origin. It is worth complementing this color with green and blue to make the product more attractive.
- Contrasting colors emphasize the main one: it is believed that the packaging should be 70% white versus 30% of a different tone. The milk container is made out in light vigorous shades – so, it is better to refuse dark blue, olive. Red is often chosen as an additional color that can attract the attention of the buyer. benefit.
One of the main tasks when creating a milk packaging design is to make the consumer feel the product’s freshness. This effect can be achieved with the help of a competent color combination. Unsuitable brown, green can cause associations with mold, and even a beautiful box will not help to raise sales. Use images of grass, greenery, because they will help the buyer not to think about the industrial origin of milk.
It is also important that the container seems cold when it is taken in hand – then it seems that the product is very fresh. You can increase the credibility of the product and brand by displaying water droplets on the packaging.
The inscription “Does not contain milk powder” will help to emphasize the naturalness. Consumers respond best to numbers such as “100% fresh”. Another great way to increase audience confidence is production quality marks and certificates.
· Additional Information.
Any modern person knows that milk is rich in calcium and other substances necessary for the body. But it is better to remind about this, not forgetting to indicate the fat content of the product. By the way, it is recommended to highlight the last numbers in color. On the reverse side of the package, information about the composition, place of production and other characteristics of the product are applied.
One of the current trends is creating dairy packaging designs with stories, especially when it comes to nutrition for children. Manufacturers print short stories about characters from packaging, hold contests or offer to collect souvenirs.
· Familiar symbols.
The most common images on packaging for dairy products are herbs, flowers, rustic elements such as hedges, clay pots, trees, and drops of milk. However, this is not enough, good design should tell a story.
A designer should not use stereotypes, but at the same time he cannot afford too unusual ideas, because they will not be accepted by the audience. Often, customer expectations affect the type of packaging and the company’s earnings more than all current design trends.
It is important for any brand to differ from others, only then its products do not risk getting lost on the shelves among competitors. If this function is performed by text, it is recommended to highlight it in large letters, fonts and marks. You have to have the courage when designing your product packaging to get away with the standard tricks. So, you can come up with an unusual shape for the container, introduce new design elements. It is necessary to work with all parts of the container, not limited to the front and rear panels, because the bottom of the milk container is quite suitable for decoration.
The main difficulty in developing product packaging design is that each consumer has already formed a persistent image with a certain set of qualities. It is important that the latter are taken into account when creating a design. Also, we must not forget about the peculiarities of the region, because in one innovation will be accepted with joy, while in the other it will lead to serious losses for the company. Read More 6 Intelligent Ways To Save Money With Candy Boxes Wholesale