In 2024, travelling has become a necessity. However, one thing to note is that whether it is within one’s own country or abroad, there are certain risks one might be exposed to when travelling. These risks exist in our daily lives but are exacerbated when travelling as we are outside the norm and experiencing many new things.
This, however, does not mean that you should not travel, but opting for travel insurance can enable you to travel with peace of mind and the confidence to do whatever you wish to do while on that trip.
In this article, we will explore the importance of having insurance when travelling, the benefits of having travel insurance, and how to buy one for yourself.
What is travel insurance?
Travel insurance is a specialised type of insurance offered to individuals, families, and groups travelling both domestically and internationally. This protects them from suffering financial loss from additional expenses arising from being exposed to certain risks. There are several risks ranging in severity and frequency that can range from something that can hamper your travel experience to something that can impact the well-being of yourself and your loved ones.
Why shouldn’t you go on trips without a travel insurance policy?
Travelling without insurance is like going to Ladakh during winter without warm clothes. That is because, similar to warm clothes, insurance offers the traveller protection from the aftereffects of these risks.
Here are a few of the risks a traveller might be exposed to when going abroad:
- Missing a connecting flight- This is one of the risks which commonly affect travellers, as sometimes there are delays and cancellations of primary flights, which can result in missing a connecting flight. Having international flight insurance coverage can be beneficial here.
- Loss or delay of checked-in baggage- This is another common risk where checked-in baggage is delayed, lost or stolen, resulting in harassment and additional costs.
- Trip delay, interruption, or cancellation- Having your trip delayed or cancelled before even embarking on the journey or being interrupted while on the trip can lead to a negative experience and financial loss.
- Medical emergency- Change in weather conditions, differences in food, allergies, and many reasons why someone might become sick while travelling.
- Personal accident-Accidents don’t look for a time or place and can result in permanent disabilities or even death.
- Third-party liability- Causing damage to property or injuring someone while abroad can result in legal liability and result in penalties or fines.
- Losing important documents like passports- Passports are internationally recognisable proof of identity, but sometimes people forget them in their hotel rooms at the check-in/baggage drop counter, etc.
How to buy travel insurance online?
Buying insurance online is quite simple and convenient. Not only is it instantaneous, but also you will not have to leave your home for it. The main thing to consider is which insurance provider you want to get the insurance from.
For this article, I will mention the steps I took to purchase insurance from Niva Bupa. While there might be some dissimilarities with other insurers, it should be similar enough to help you in the right direction.
- Visit the Niva Bupa website and click on ‘Travel Insurance’.
- Fill out the requested information on the form.
- Click on ‘View Plans’ and input the traveller’s details to check the plans offered by the company.
- Choose the plan based on your requirements and select the sum you want to insure the policy.
- Once satisfied, continue to fill in any relevant information and required documents.
- Purchase the policy to receive it.
Travelling without insurance is like going to a war without armour. Whether it is the fallback option offered by insurance in a foreign country or the confidence to travel without fear or anxiety, travel insurance is a necessary component for any foreign visit. So, make the right choice to protect the financial future and ensure the well-being of your loved ones by opting for the right travel insurance.